Money talks with the voice we give it; so, my mission is to have female founders, funders, those who want to be, and those who support them to, read my L.I.P.S™:
Learn: about using money and finance as a tool, your economy, building a business, and new business/system/economic models, through:
- FinanciElle $tatements – Interviews with female founders, funders, and support programs about money
- FinanciElle Bookshelf – Book summaries, reviews, and discussion guides
- FinanciElle Faves – Resource lists
- FinanciElle Out on the Town – Lessons learned from conferences and events
- FinanciElle PlantHER™ – (H)ow (E)verything (R)ises. Sowing seeds that you want to bloom. A Bible Study and Tools based on the lessons on leadership, purpose, calling, and money from women in the Bible and the Teachings of Jesus. (COMING SOON)
- BLOOM Guide: (B)eautiful (L)essons (O)vercoming (O)bstacles (M)eaningfully. An Inspirational tool kit for when you are going through the different seasons of life and business. (COMING SOON)
Invest: Talk about ways everyone can invest in women and girls and how women can invest in themselves and each other
- Promote female founders, funders, female targeted funds, and support programs, and their projects
- Promote entrepreneurship as a viable career option for women
- Increase visibility and positive messaging about female founders
Support: Talk about how you can – spend your money on women founders, donate to not-for-profits that support women and girls, volunteer for programs that support women and girls.
Women are GOOD WITH MONEY
- Female founders outperform males
- Women are better investors
- Women score higher than men in most leadership skills
- Women are better leaders during a crisis
Media messaging and systemic issues
- Bad Media Messaging – “Just Buy the F***ing Latte” by Sallie Krawcheck
- Systemic Gender Gaps – Gender Pay, Gender Work Achievement, Gender Debt, Gender Investing, Gender Funding, Gender Pricing, and Unpaid Labour Gaps
- Experience with traditional financial institutions – Women entrepreneurs in general are not satisfied with their experiences with financial institutions. Lack of access to capital prevented many women from growing their businesses or slowed the process of growth because they had to self-finance their growth
- System Wide Entrepreneurial Barriers – stereotypes about women entrepreneurs, perceptions of women’s differences in growth strategies as evidence of women’s risk aversion, persistent issues related to access to funding, systemic bias against enterprises with a social benefit or orientation.
- Untapped Growth
As it currently stands, the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap reports that we will not see gender parity in our lifetime. At the rate we’re going in the U.S. it will take 208 years, and in Canada 164 years.
A new vision
My name is Paolina, I’m a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CGA) and Corporate Accountant with 10 + years of experience, most in the tech sector with experience from daily bookkeeping, to researching funding, to working cross-functionally to develop tools to maximize insight from financial and business data . I am passionate about using money as a tool to make the world a better place and financial literacy. I am passionate about storytelling and live by this quote by Brené Brown, “Maybe a story is just data with a soul” . I love to learn, read, research, write, curate, analyze, and create, and am incredibly filled with wonder and curiosity.
Growing up in a family surrounded by entrepreneurship, I saw first-hand how hard it was. When you become an entrepreneur you’re signing up for blood, sweat, and tears. I have a deep appreciation for the struggle and the process.
I truly believe having a strong financial foundation is key to having a strong business and that strong businesses can serve the communities they operate in.
For a long while I wanted to do a blog geared towards finance and women, my first iteration of FinanciElle was in 2007- 2010 (rest in peace) (I’d like to think I’ve stepped it up since then).
I try everyday to live the mission of this blog, through my community participation with the following:
Let’s make money moves, together !