I’m combining this month’s book review of “Think Like a SheEO” by Vicki Saunders, with a look at last nights CEO Talk by Vicki on New Mindsets: Rethinking our economy to drive innovation held at Twenty Two at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa.
Vicki has created a feminist disruptive model for financing and supporting female founded businesses through SheEO, her motto “Everything is Broken…What a Great Time To Be Alive!” is spot on.
In last nights talk she mentioned how:
- The speculation economy is 50x > than the value creation economy
- 8 men now have the same wealth as half the planet, 3.5 billion people
- When the market crashed in 2008 we found 17 trillion dollars in 3 weeks to bail them out, that’s equal to 600 years on the planet without hunger
- Only 4% of venture capital goes to women
- Less than 1% of corporate procurement goes to women-led businesses
- There is 12 trillion lost in economic opportunity without gender parity
- Women make 80% of purchasing decisions
- Women are set to inherit 75% of the largest wealth transfer ever
- Women are starting businesses worldwide at 1.5x the pace of men
Something’s gotta give, and it turns out that it’s women through a movement of #radicalgenerosity.
With SheEO, 500 activators per cohort give $1,100 hundred dollars ($1,000 to a perpetual fund and $100 as a program fee), through a voting process, 5 female founded and lead ventures get the funding as a low interest loan to be paid back into the fund in equal installments over 5 years and that money gets continually re-invested into new ventures. The ventures also get coaching and access to the activator community.
The goal of SheEO is to reach 1 million activators and a $1 billion dollar perpetual fund which will support 10,000 women led ventures annually. At it’s current growth rate, this goal will be reached by 2026. I am very proud to be an activator and be featuring some of the entrepreneurs and activators in my FinanciElle “Statements” interviews.
I was honored to meet Vicki last night at the CEO Talk event held at the beautiful Twenty Two space at the Westin, with fantastic views of the city. I was fortunate enough to get Vicki to sign my copy of her book, “Think Like A SheEO”. I read a lot of business books and this has to be one of my favourites because there are so many actionable take a ways and thought provoking exercises.
The book is structured around the 8 SheEO principles:
- Everything is broken…What a great time to be alive
- Meaning is the new money
- You can’t be someone else and lead
- It doesn’t have to be hard
- You can have what you want
- Follow the energy
- Integration is the new balance
- It’s a post-hero world
Even though this book is meant for entrepreneurs, and I am not one, pretty much everything resonated with me, particularly:
- Overcoming self-limiting beliefs
- The section on breaking through the fear barrier
- Flipping it, which is about flipping something that you perceive to be a limitation
If you are interested in becoming a SheEO activator or venture, please check out the SheEO website.